Spike ponders

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Comprehension and Interpretation

Of the many wonderful skills I have acquired in my lifetime, there are two that I deem the most important.  The first is reading quickly with strong comprehension, which I acquired in a special summer program at school.  The second is objective and truthful reporting which I learned from my dad.  I have other skills to be sure, but these two are the ones that impact the ability to transfer information accurately.  It is bad enough to misrepresent something because you truly fail to understand it, but to do it deliberately, to put a "spin" on it and use the media to disseminate it as fact and truth, is a brand of criminality that I am only just being able to recognize and abhor.  It is one thing to edit a movie or a novel.....FICTION.....to create an atmosphere and present a specified point of view, but you don't get to edit LIFE.  If you want to express an opinion then clearly define it as OPINION coming out of the gate.  DO NOT....let me repeat.....DO NOT....represent your opinion as fact.  As in sins of commission and ommission, misrepresenting facts, leaving out information.... is exactly the SAME AS LYING.   Using it as a tool to play on the fears of the public is cruelly manipulative.  Before I go, let me advise you that this is all MY OPINION and is how I truly feel about the subtle and not-so-subtle distortion of truth to accomplish a goal.  Do the ends EVER justify the means?  I don't know the answer to that.  You would have to operate under the supposition that someone else can make better decisions for you than you can make for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment